Thursday, February 3, 2011

Valentine's Day Countdown: Day 3...Plus some other special stuff!

Today was my (very) long day of school...up at 5:30, out the door at 7, and at MMB by 9.  For those of you who don't know, MMB is the state psychiatric hospital.  It sounds scary at first, but the people there are people just like us, except their illnesses deal with mental issues rather than physical issues like high blood pressure or diabetes.  Today was a very special day there...I ran into a girl that I went to grade school with - back then she was very quiet, and I didn't know her very well except for her name and what she looked like.  Now that I am an adult, I can understand what was going on with her, but when we were kids, I just thought she was another little girl that didn't dress very well and didn't talk to anybody.  I didn't realize that she grew up in a horrible home around horrible people, or that she managed to come to church on the church van by herself.  Today, she walked up to me and I told her that my name was Molli, because we're only allowed to let people know our first names there, and it took her only about 2 seconds to say "your last name is Oiler, right?" I was stunned that she remembered me, because I didn't do anything that should have made her remember my last name.  I wanted to cry, because I thought maybe if I would have done something to help her so long ago, or paid more attention to her, she wouldn't be in the situation she's in today.  Just goes to show that even when you don't think anybody is looking or noticing - they are.  Never thought I'd say it, but I can't wait to go back next week. :)  
After that, a few of my friends and I went and ate at Red Lobster (I had a gift card - they're always jealous when I eat for free ;), and then we went to Cabell to do our preplanning for clinical on Saturday.  When we first walked in, there were booths set up to get tested to be a bone marrow donor. Funny thing is, Tyler's cousin CaSandra passed out fliers on Sunday at church for a donor testing day in Charleston.  I was planning on going to it, but I got it done today instead!  The main reason that these donor drives are going on is for a little girl named Mailyn, who has leukemia.  She's 5 years old, and I had the opportunity to take care of her at clinical one week...she is an amazing little girl, and I don't care how much bone marrow donation hurts, I would do it to save her life.  She was our local news station's 'Hometown Hero' last week - click here to watch why! 
And the blessings keep coming today - I got home, and Gidget's feeling MUCH better - back to her crazy old self!  CaSandra and her daughter Kensley left a little surprise for when I got home - they made Gidget some Valentine's Day/Get well treats - such a cute idea....CaSandra is literally the most thoughtful and creative person I know! Thank you!!!
 The presentation and the recipe! (in case you want to make some for your dog - it's probably cheaper than those expensive dog treats we have to buy!)

 This is Gidgey's 'Thank You' face! Haha - sorry it's the same as her face for every other emotion too :)

Now for my 'Day 3' item....A quirky gift from my quirky guy :)

 This was part of my 19th birthday present - 10 coupons that say 'One masterful foot massage upon request'....Well, NONE of them have been used for over 3 years, and I still can't get a foot massage :)...
....which is why I got THIS the next year from him for Christmas! A foot massager that I don't like nearly as much a human hands! Just a funny memory - I don't need a massage to know I'm loved :)


1 comment:

  1. I'm SO glad to hear you were tested to help Mailyn... Saturday can't come soon enough for us!

    *Remind me to give you some Red Lobster coupons*

    ReplyDelete